Patients are encouraged to continue to see their general dentist for routine cleanings. To ensure a comprehensive dental cleaning our staff can work with your dentist to help remove the orthodontic arch wires prior to your cleaning. Some patients may require shorter intervals between cleanings, and this will be determined between Dr. Chen and your dentist.
Our team is dedicated to making your smile beautiful, and we are here to develop proper oral hygiene habits at home. At each visit our team will evaluate your oral health and help you make adjustments as needed. Some valuable items to help maintain great oral hygiene are: Interdental Toothbrush, Antibacterial Mouthwash, Topical Fluoride, and Fluoride mouth rinse.
How to care for your Removable Appliance.
Brush your retainers as part of your daily brushing and flossing schedule. Often food particles can cling onto portions of your retainer, therefore please soak your retainers daily. Use Polident, Efferdent, or other denture cleaning tablets to soak your retainer in. These products will help your retainer taste better and keep plaque and bacteria from accumulating.
Foods to avoid during braces.
- Sticky foods can get caught between brackets and wires.
- Some examples are: gum, licorice, sugar daddies, toffee, tootsie rolls, caramels, starburst, now and laters, mambas.
- Hard foods can break or damage brackets and wires. Some examples are: ice, nuts, hard taco shells, bread, corn on the cob, apples, carrots, chips, jolly ranchers, pizza crust.
- Sugary foods can lead to cavities on your teeth. Some examples are: cake, ice cream, cookies, pie, candy, soda, gatorade, any drinks with sugar.
- View a video on TYPES OF FOODS TO AVOID WITH BRACES, sponsored by The American Association of Orthodontists.